Smoking is a hectic issue in today’s world. There are many disadvantages to having a cigarette on regular basis. Other than just active smokers, passive smokers or second-hand smokers are also in danger. Smoke liberating from a burning cigarette carries many harmful chemicals with it. It has almost 7000 harmful chemicals, which can affect your children’s health. Among them, about 70 to 80 chemicals are cancer causing while rest are toxic.
Effects of second-hand smoking on children
Source : fthmb.tqn.com
- Parents who smoke can cause serious health problems to their kids. Such children often get sicker than others.
- The growth of their children’s lungs is less compared to other children of the same age. They are not able to breathe properly and completely. In addition, they are prone to get affected by pneumonia as well as bronchitis.
- They might cough few more times in a day for no reason. Cigarette smoke causes unwanted coughing and producers uncomfortable feeling while breathing. Wheezing is also common for those children.
Second-hand smokers are more prone to an asthma attack. Especially children get asthma very easily who are exposed to cigarette smoke on a regular basis. Children suffer from attack several times in a lifetime.
- Parents smoke around their children also put them in the danger of ear infections. Children might develop ear infection with constant second-hand smoking. There is also a possibility of developing fluid in the ears which later on needs to be removed through operations and drainage tubes.
- Children may develop snoring habit when they grow up if they are exposed to second-hand smoking. Snoring is not such a fatal problem but it certainly is an issue.
- Children suffer from frequent colds and find it hard to recover. Their immune system weakens developing it difficult to get over a cold. The smoke effect changes body organ’s functions making them weak.
These are frequent symptoms of a second-hand smoking, there are also many long-term effects which are hazardous for children.
Source : roswellpark.org
- Health issues cause trouble for health like the poor development of lung which means the lung is not able to grow to its maximum size.
- Another important term is lung cancer. It is fatal and can cause death in children.
- Children exposed to numerous Heart diseases and can get seriously ill.
- They can also suffer from cataracts and another eye disease.
Smoking while pregnant
Source : d2cerka36d9z24.cloudfront.net
Smoking before you become a parent can also be hazardous for your child. If you smoke in pregnancy, there is a high chance for your baby to develop SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). A child can also gain less weight and have a premature birth. Health risk will always be there for that child who has been raised in a smoking environment.
Smoking can badly affect your children it’s better to be safe and keep children and yourself away from smoking.