All you need to know about Fluoroscopy
We all are fortunate to be a part of the modern society which is technologically blessed. The raft of technology in every field takes us to a safer bank. Be it academic, medicinal, scientific, economic or others.
When talking about the medical field, the new-found technology is a boon to us. TBH, these machines are like the parachutes which protect us from landing in any serious illness.
Spotting any serious illness at the right time is the first step to the cure. Although, the diagnosis of physical symptoms becomes easy. But the detection of internal damage is a lot more difficult and challenging for all of us.
The internal injuries can be identified easily through the imaging test. These technologies are truly the priceless discovery of science. NGL! They guarantee a complete fitness of the body.
This article is the perfect place for you to get a detailed understanding of Fluoroscopy.
What is Fluoroscopy?
Fluoroscopy is a kind of medical imaging. It involves the use of X-ray beams that are passed through the entire body. The aim is to view the real-time movement of internal organs using a fluorescent screen.
Fluoroscopy is an imaging instrument that allows the physician to study various body parts. The study basically involves the urinary, skeletal, digestive, reproductive or respiratory system.
In many cases, you will witness that a patient’s particular bone, muscle or joint becomes the major concern or focus area of the doctor.
The kind of problem faced by the patient determines the kind of radiation that is used. Basically, an individual’s procedure informs the varying degree of radiation a patient goes through. It can range from high radiation dose to relatively lesser one depending upon the individual’s injury.
Types of Fluoroscopies
There are different types of fluoroscopies depending upon the different kinds of illnesses faced by the patient.
It enables us to see the real-time picture of injury in joints or muscles or the bones. Thus, it allows us to get injections to treat chronic or acute pain.
The scan focuses on the oesophagus to understand the barium swallowing function by using X-ray images.
In this case, your small intestine is evaluated. A tube is inserted in the nose that goes through the oesophagus and stomach to reach the small intestine.
A tube is inserted 1-2 inches into your rectum to examine it.
Fluoroscopic Small Bowel follow through
The focus is to get the X-ray images of your small intestine. The focus is to obtain the X-ray images of your abdomen until the contrast Dye reaches the small intestine.
Fluoroscopic IVP (Intravenous Pyelogram)
This procedure is used to examine your urinary tract. There is an injection of X-ray dye into a vein in the arm or hand to obtain the image of kidney, uterus and bladder.
A Fluoroscopic VCUG
It involves the evaluation of bladder and lower urinary tract.
The scan of your uterus and fallopian tube are the major focus of this procedure.
Procedure Involved in Fluoroscopy
A basic procedure is followed by all patients while performing Fluoroscopy for different illnesses
- Any jewellery or clothing on your body is removed. Medical scrubs or a hospital gown is provided by the doctor instead.
- You are asked to drink a ‘contrast dye’ or substance depending upon the procedure you are undergoing. In some cases, they might remove the fluid in the joint before inserting a contrast dye.
- You are made to move in different positions on an X-ray table or turn a particular part of your body or hold your breath for a few seconds.
- Sometimes a needle is also inserted into the elbow or heart in cases involving catheter insertion.
- The doctor or technician finally uses the X-ray scanner to obtain the image of the organ being examined.
Benefits of Fluoroscopy
- It allows a physician to have a look at the live image of the organs and to get a detailed view of it’s size, shape and movement.
- It enables the doctor to get a complete understanding of the dynamic and functional movement of the organ.
- Fluoroscopy can be easily availed or arranged in the hospitals by the patient.
- The cost of performing Fluoroscopy is not that expensive. It’s much affordable to all.
- The procedure involved in Fluoroscopy is not that tiresome or difficult.
- The clarity and precision of results allows in adopting appropriate treatment plans.
RISKS INVOLVED IN FLUOROSCOPY
- There is a chance of developing radiation exposed cancer in the later years of life.
- Acute skin reddening or hair loss can also be some of the mild symptoms after you are exposed to ionizing radiation for a longer time.
- Some of you might also experience allergic reactions due to the injection of a contrast dye in the body for examination purposes.
- A patient’s mobility and refusal to comply with the medical examination can also limit it.
SOME PRINCIPLES AND RULES THAT ARE IMPORTANT WHILE PERFORMING FLUOROSCOPY
- A standard medical protocol and operating procedure is followed whenever fluoroscopy is performed.
- The X-ray images must be clear, clinically accurate and of high quality.
- Make sure to check the proper credentials and training of the physician who is performing Fluoroscopy.
- You must try to ensure that your exposure to the ionizing radiations is as minimal as possible.
- Awareness regarding the radiation dose rates for the Fluoroscopic procedure adopted in each case, is necessary.
- If possible, try to have a quality insurance program for the X-ray system used.
- Try to keep a track of the impact of fluoroscopic procedure step by step. You must try to assess the pros and cons of the treatment at a personal level.
- Try to register different variables that can impact you based on your age, beam location and direction, the previous fluoroscopic procedures performed or some other health issues faced in past or at present.
In case you suffer from some serious symptoms you must consult a doctor. At times, there is also a probability of suffering severe implications of Fluoroscopic procedures. You must inform the doctor about your previous health issues and get proper medication.
Awareness is the pillar to get a healthy body. Thus, the knowledge regarding a particular disease and the procedure of treatment must always be clear, accurate and reliable. So, there is a necessity to get a detailed information of Fluoroscopy in case you opt for that procedure.
Health must be your primary concern. So, you must ensure all precautions. Since our health is the most precious gem we possess and we must not lose it.
For more health-related information, visit Healthclubfinder.