21 High Protein Foods According to Health Experts
If you want a meal to maintain and improve your total health, it is important to include protein. Protein is an important macronutrient that is needed for health.
Protein helps strengthen the bones, improving your immune health and many functions of the body.
To get enough protein, you must take high protein foods in your daily meal. These foods can help in weight management, blood sugar management, and bone health. We can say that taking these foods can improve your overall health.
In this content, you will learn everything about protein foods and all the necessary information about the protein.
What is Protein?
Everyone may know what protein is, but here we will give you detailed clarification about proteins.
Amino acids make up proteins; the body uses these acids to perform various tasks, whether forming certain hormones or making certain proteins within the body.
The proteins’ constituent amino acids are absorbed by the body after digestion and utilized by cells for various purposes.
There are around 20 amino acids that make up the proteins, and every one of them is divided into essential, non-essential, or conditional.
- Non-essential amino acids are the ones that our body can produce automatically.
- Essential amino acids are the ones the body can’t make by itself, and thus, they need to be received by diet.
- Conditional amino acids are important at the time of stress or illness.
What Can Protein Do for You?
Whenever people think of protein, most of them think as food for gym people. They believe it is for bodybuilding. But protein is much more than that; it helps in:
- Reducing the risk of high BP.
- Reduce the risk of muscle loss due to age rise.
- Keep the immune system functioning.
Thus, protein can improve your overall health & wellness for you.
How Much Protein Do You Need?
The need for protein varies for every person.
The amount of protein that you need depends on various factors:
- Your body size.
- Activity levels
The RDA for protein for an adult is 0.36 grams of protein per pound or 0.8 grams per kg. The need for protein may later increase due to factors like the physical activity status of a person, pregnancy, or when someone is recovering from any injury or surgery.
Can You Consume More Protein than Required?
Generally, our protein requirements are easily qualified if we take a balanced diet. According to the Department of Health, adults are advised not to consume more than double the recommended amount of protein.
The overconsumption of protein can lead to the risk of diseases like osteoporosis, kidney problems, etc. Thus, try and avoid taking more protein than required.
Best High-Protein Foods
Proteins can be found in many foods you may be consuming in your everyday diet, but there are many other foods where you can get a good amount of protein. You will get to know what foods are high protein.
Here, we will tell you about some of the best high-protein foods for fulfilling the protein intake requirement.
Almonds are a very good source of protein.
Almonds are rich in nutrition and have crucial nutrients like fiber, vitamin E, manganese, and magnesium.
Taking almonds can not only provide you with enough protein but also benefits many other health conditions. It may lower the risk factors for heart disease and blood pressure.
- One ounce of almonds will provide you with 6 grams of protein.
2. Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt is a thick type of yogurt that is very rich in protein.
Apart from protein, you will get calcium, vitamin A, vitamin B12, and zinc from the yogurt.
It’s a versatile kitchen item because of its tangy flavor, which goes well with sweet and savory meals.
You can add yogurt to smoothies, soups, or baked goods.
- A 7-ounce of yogurt container provides around 20 grams of protein.
Milk can complete the need for every nutrient in your body.
Milk is a good source of protein. It is also high in vitamins and many minerals.
People who cannot tolerate lactose cannot consume milk, but lactose-free milk is out on the market.
Some of the alternatives to plain milk are coconut milk and cashew milk.
- 250 ml of milk can provide around 8 to 9 grams of protein.
Fish is an amazing protein rich food and gives you a variety of important vitamins and minerals.
People who take fish reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Omega-3 fatty acids are abundant in fatty fish like salmon and herring. They are also good for your overall health and especially your heart health.
- A salmon fish fillet of 125 grams can provide you with around 30 grams of protein.
- A cold fillet of 180 grams can give you approximately 40 grams of protein.
Eggs are considered one of the most nutritious food items.
They provide good protein, which is easy to absorb, and they are also good sources of vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and antioxidants.
Whole eggs contain more nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and good fats, than egg whites, which are largely protein-based.
- One big egg of 50 grams may give you around 6 grams of protein.
6. Chicken Breast
If you want to increase your protein intake, chicken breast can be the perfect option.
Apart from protein, it provides various vitamins, minerals, and selenium.
Chicken breast is simple to cook. You can add chicken breasts to salads, fries, and soups.
- 86 grams of chicken breasts can provide you with around 27 grams of protein.
7. Lean Beef
Lean beef is another good source of protein, so if you run short on protein, lean beef can be a good food for protein.
You will also get other nutrients like zinc and iron.
- 85 grams of lean beef can provide around 25 grams of protein.
8. Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are tasty and high in nutrition. They provide good protein value.
They are also a good source of minerals like iron, phosphorous, magnesium, and zinc.
Add pumpkin seeds to salads, baked goods, porridge, or yogurt. You can combine them with almonds and unsweetened dried fruit to make a quick snack.
- 30 grams of pumpkin seeds provide around 9 grams of protein.
- 35 grams of Sunflower seeds can give you about 7.5 grams of protein.
- 42 grams of flax feeds can give you approximately 7.5 grams of protein.
9. Peanuts and Peanut Butter
Peanuts are also considered foods with high protein.
Peanuts & peanut butter have nutrients like protein, folate, magnesium, and vitamin.
Adding peanut butter to your diet can increase your protein intake. It may also reduce blood sugar.
A slice of bread with peanut butter on it will make you feel fuller and possibly keep your blood sugar levels more constant after meals.
- One ounce of peanuts provides you with around 7 grams of protein
- 32-gram peanut butter provides approximately 7.2 grams of protein.
The shellfish family, which includes shrimp, oysters, clams, and scallops, is rich in protein.
Shellfish also have fats, minerals, vitamins, zinc, and iron.
- 85 grams of cooked clams provide you with around 22 grams of protein
- 85 grams of shrimp may give you approximately 20.4 grams of protein.
11. Protein Powders
When you don’t want to cook a meal and want quick and easy protein, then go for the protein powders.
You can make shakes of protein powders and take them. You can get different flavors of protein powders from the market.
Generally, pea protein & whey protein are perfect choices for people looking to increase their protein consumption.
- 29 grams of protein can provide you with around 17 grams of protein
- 20 grams of protein can give you 15 grams of protein
12. Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese is a kind of cheese with low fat and calories but is rich in protein.
It also contains calcium, phosphorus, selenium, and vitamin B12.
It can also satisfy your hunger, and thus it is one of the finest sources of protein.
- 225 grams of protein can enrich you with 28 grams.
Lentils are the highest protein foods when it comes to plant-based protein.
If you are a vegetarian and want a vegetarian source of protein, then lentils are a perfect choice.
Lentils can also reduce the risk of heart disease.
- 100 grams of cooked lentils can give you around 9 grams of protein.
- 100 grams of black beans can provide about 9 grams of protein.
14. Ezekiel Bread
Ezekiel bread is a different type of bread.
It contains millet, barley, wheat, soybeans, lentils, and other organic, sprouted whole grains and legumes.
- 60 grams of Ezekiel bread can give you around 6 grams of protein.
15. Turkey Breast
Turkey breast is high in protein and less in fat & calories. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals.
Apart from protein, it also contains minerals, vitamins, and zinc.
Turkey breast is amazing in taste; you can add it to soups, salads, and sandwiches.
- 85 grams of turkey can give you 25.6 grams of protein.
Yellow corn can provide you with healthy protein.
The corns can also give you good fiber, minerals, and calcium.
- One cup of corn can give you 15.6 grams of protein.
It is also a food rich with protein.And apart from protein, it also has nutrients like folate and potassium.
- One cup of raw broccoli can give you 2.6 grams of protein.
Oats are among the best sources of protein. They also provide you with carbohydrates.
One can prepare raw oats easily, and you can also flavor them with fruits & nuts. However, if you have blood sugar, do take the oats with care as they contain added sugar.
- You can get 13 grams of protein from the 100 grams of oats.
19 Hemp Seeds
You can also receive protein from hemp seeds.
You can get hemp seeds easily from a grocery store.
- One can receive 9.5 grams of protein from 30 grams of hemp seeds.
Also Read: Healthy Dinner Ideas For You And Your Family
Pistachios contain good protein and are low in calories. Thus, it is one of the best protein foods.
It also contains many other nutrients like B-6.
- 1 ounce of pistachios can provide you with 6 grams of protein.
Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans. It does, however, contain more protein than tofu.
You can find tempeh in selected grocery stores.
- 100 grams of tempeh can give 20 grams of protein.
At last, we would say that protein is essential for our body. It helps the body in performing multiple tasks. If you want to maintain your overall health, protein is a must for you. We have mentioned the top foods from which you can get a good amount of protein.
For more health-related information, visit Healthclubfinder.