There has been a paradigm shift amongst people in India in relation to their perception of virginity, especially women’s. Although there has been a shift, women in India are still questioned about being a virgin before marriage. The fear of not “being pure” still haunt women belonging to several sections of the society.
Now the problem lies in finding a solution to the problem of a broken hymen. Women, especially of the age group 20-30 are visiting the cosmetic gynecologists to get their hymen-reconstruction. Want to know more? Continue reading as we discuss the procedure of a hymenoplasty.
The surgical reconstruction of the hymen is the procedure of hymenoplasty. A woman’s hymen breaks or tears out at the time of her first sexual intercourse. In some cases, it causes some bleeding.
By now you know that a hymen is a thin membrane of pinkish color that partially covers the vaginal entrance. A hymen is located approximately half an inch inside the vagina. It is a part of the vulva which is the gateway to the vagina.
The Need For a Hymenoplasty
Generally, women in India go for hymenoplasty due to cultural and religious reasons. The concept of an ‘untouched’ girl is still very much prevalent in the country. Most of the cases, girls belonging to reproductive age who had lost her virginity and want to restore it before their marriage. The benefits of the hymenoplasty include-
- The ability of the hymen to bleed during sexual intercourse is restored
- In conservative societies, to save themselves from useless doubts and take control of their future women go for hymenoplasty
- Victims of sexual assault for this procedure to kick start a new life
- Rejuvenation of the hymen makes a woman feel young again
Although the function of the hymen is not exactly known but some doctors project hymen as a vaginal barrier against external sources of infection until puberty. The rupture of the hymen generally happens during the first sexual experience. However, the hymen may be torn because of other reasons also. Strenuous activities like bicycling, horseback riding and gymnastics can rupture the hymen in some cases. The use of tampons can also rupture a hymen early. Some women are even born without a trace of a hymen.
The Various Procedures
After proper consultation with the doctor, have all your assumptions and expectations clear and concise so that you know what to expect from a hymenoplasty.
- Basic Technique- Performed on an outpatient basis, the remains of the hymen is stitched back together. In this procedure, the surgeon sews the torn parts together under the influence of local or general anesthesia. The stitches are then applied which are dissolvable. The whole surgery takes around half-an-hour to complete.
- Reconstruction Of The Hymen- In this surgical procedure, a new hymen is created by the surgeon using tissues from the lip of the vagina. The only key point you should remember after this surgery is to abstain from sexual activity for at least three months.
Here is a Step by Step Process of How The Hymenoplasty is Performed-
- General or local anesthesia is injected into the body so that you don’t feel any pain or discomfort.
- You’ll be placed in a lithotomic position
- The surgeon will join back the torn edges of the hymen which helps you make feel rejuvenated.
- Dissolvable stitches are applied as this is a very sensitive area
- You’ll be discharged after thorough monitoring of 5 to 6 hours of the surgery
Special Care After Hymenoplasty
After thorough monitoring for several hours, you’ll be discharged on the same day. You will be able to resume work after 3 to 4 days. Some of the guidelines you should include are-
- It is vital you keep the area clean and take the prescribed antibiotics to prevent the development of any infection.
- Use warm-packs or apply ice packs to ease out the pain and swelling.
- Take a bath 2-3 days of the surgery
- Refrain from sex for at least a month
The Effects of Hymenoplasty
With the advancement of medical technology, hymenoplasty has a long-lasting effect and the results are also effective. Hymenoplasty with proper care can maintain the restored hymen until the next sexual encounter.
The Safety of Hymenoplasty
Hymenoplasty also referred to as the virginity procedure, is the surgical reconstruction of the hymen. The safety of the procedure completely depends on the patient who is undergoing the treatment.
The risk of complications is possible in any kind of surgery and hymenoplasty is no different. Having said that, you should know that the procedure is performed by highly experienced doctors and done under the influence of anesthesia. But seek medical help if you feel any of the symptoms- bleeding, swelling, numbness, bruising, pain or irritation during defecation/urination. Generally, the recovery period ranges from 2 to 3 weeks. But the recovery time can vary on the basis of the physique of the patient. It can even take a whole month to fully recover.