Mediterranean diet is an eating plan that keeps people healthy and helps in avoiding many health diseases. This Mediterranean diet meal plan came from traditional eating habits seen in countries like Italy and Greece back in 1960. Back in the 1960s, people in Greece and Italy were healthier than Americans.
The Mediterranean diet meal plan mostly includes Plant-based foods and red meat is okay if you take it occasionally. There is not any specific way for the perfect Mediterranean diet meal plan. You can create the best Mediterranean diet recipes for your day. Make a perfect Mediterranean menu plan for the week and enjoy a healthy life. Just remember that your Mediterranean diet recipes should follow the basics of the Mediterranean diet.
Also, researchers say that with the help of a Mediterranean diet meal plan, you will gain many benefits. For example, it causes weight loss and helps in the prevention of heart attacks, strokes, type two diabetes, and premature death.
Mediterranean Diet Basics
As you know, the Mediterranean diet originally belongs to different countries. Therefore, it is difficult to pin out exact Mediterranean diet foods for the Mediterranean meal plan. For drinks, you have to avoid any beverage that has high sugar but coffee, red wine, and tea are acceptable. But remember you can’t have more than one glass of red wine per day.
Also, if you are following the Mediterranean diet, you have to avoid fruit drinks because they have high sugar content. Here is a top list of food items that include in Mediterranean diet basics:
Some of the basic vegetables in Mediterranean Diet Recipes include tomatoes, broccoli, kale, spinach, onions, cauliflower, carrots, Brussels sprouts, and cucumbers. Few more vegetables are present in a Mediterranean diet meal plan. Use these veggies for a perfect Mediterranean keto diet.
Here are some of the basic fruits that are present in the Mediterranean diet: Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, strawberries, grapes, dates, figs, and peaches. Healthy for everyday morning breakfast.
Nuts and Seeds
The Mediterranean diet meal plan also includes nuts and seeds. Some of them are Almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
Legumes such as Beans, peas, lentils, pulses, peanuts, and chickpeas have an important place in Mediterranean Diet Recipes.
The Mediterranean diet plan also includes tubers such as Potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, yams, etc.
Whole grains include whole oats, brown rice, rye, barley, corn, buckwheat, whole wheat, whole-grain bread, and pasta. All of these grains are present in different Mediterranean Diet Recipes and diet plan.
Fish And Seafood
The Mediterranean plan recommends eating seafood such as Salmon, sardines, trout, tuna, mackerel, shrimp, oysters, clams, crab, and mussels twice a week.
If you are following the Mediterranean Diet plan, you can also add Chicken, duck, turkey, and their eggs to your Mediterranean Diet Recipes.
The Mediterranean diet meal plan also includes Dairy such as cheese, yogurt, Greek yogurt, etc.
Herbs And Spices
Herbs and spices like garlic, basil, rosemary, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pepper are also present in Mediterranean diet recipes.
Healthy fats for example extra virgin olive oil, olives, avocados, and avocado oil are also present in Mediterranean diet recipes. Olive oil gives monounsaturated fat that helps in lowering bad cholesterol levels.
Is Mediterranean Diet Easy To Follow?
Mediterranean diet plans do not restrict many food items. There are different diet plans such as a low carb Mediterranean diet and a green Mediterranean diet. You can choose any Mediterranean-style diet according to your preference.
Therefore, it gives you the freedom to choose the ingredients for your Mediterranean diet recipes which makes it a pretty easy diet plan. It will not be boring because you can have different food every day. Therefore, the Mediterranean diet is convenient and you get numerous Mediterranean recipes. Also, if you are not full, you can always add extra veggies or an additional bowl of salad.
Mediterranean Diet Guidelines
Here are few Mediterranean diet guidelines if you want to start the Mediterranean diet meal plan:
- Make your Mediterranean diet recipes around vegetables, beans, and whole grains
- Eat fish or red meat at least once a week
- Use olive oil instead of butter in your Mediterranean diet recipes
- Have fresh fruits for dessert
Simple Menu Of Mediterranean Diet Meal Plan
Here is a basic Mediterranean diet chart if you want to try the healthy Mediterranean diet for starters:
For Breakfast you can have the following meals:
- One pan-fried egg with a whole-wheat toast and some grilled tomatoes
- A cup of Greek yogurt with some strawberries and oats
- One cup of Greek yogurt with half a cup of blueberries, raspberries, or chopped nectarines
- A cup of Greek yogurt with cinnamon and honey on top and mix it with some apples and almonds
For Lunch you can have the following meals:
- A cup of mixed salad greens with some cherry tomatoes and olives and a dressing of olive oil and vinegar. Also, have whole-grain pita bread with 2 ounces of hummus
- Spread hummus or avocado on a whole-grain sandwich with vegetables, such as eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, and onion
- Two cups of greens with some tomatoes and cucumbers and a roast small portion of chicken with a yummy sprinkling of olive oil and lemon juice
- A cup of quinoa with some bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives. Also, roast some garbanzo beans with oregano and thyme and top it with feta cheese crumbles or avocado
For dinner you can have the following meals:
- Have whole-grain pizza with tomato sauce and vegetables. For extra calories, add some chicken, ham, tuna, or pine nuts to the pizza
- Two cups of arugula or spinach, with some tomatoes, olives, and olive oil with a small portion of white fish and vegetable stew
- Bake cod or salmon with garlic and black pepper and have one potato with olive oil and chives
- Two cups of kale with tomato, cucumber, olives, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese with sardines and a slice of lemon
Mediterranean Diet Recipes
These Mediterranean recipes are full of fiber, whole grains, and healthy fats; therefore, you do not need to worry about your hunger. You will hopefully get a satisfactory feeling after trying the amazing Mediterranean diet recipes. Here are some of the delicious Mediterranean diet recipes:
It is one of the easiest Mediterranean diet recipes. It is simple and satisfying. Here are the stepwise instructions to make the hummus toast:
- Take pita bread. You can also roast it or keep it simple.
- Spread your favorite type of hummus on top of the pita bread
- Add some extra toppings which you like. For example, add nuts or veggies.
Sheet Pan Eggs And Veggies
It is one of the awesome Mediterranean diet recipes if you like eggs and veggies and fits perfectly with a Mediterranean diet meal plan. This recipe provides you high-quality protein without any additional sugar or carbs. Here are the stepwise instructions of sheet pan eggs and veggies recipe:
- Take thin slices of the veggies like bell peppers and onions and toss them with some Mediterranean spices.
- Preheat the oven and spread the veggies on the baking pan.
- Bake the veggies for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After 10- 15 minutes, take out the pan and make some space between the veggies. Fill the space with a few eggs.
- Put the pan again in the oven and bake it for the next 5 to 8 minutes.
- Take out the pan and season the dish with some salt and Mediterranean spices.
- In the end, add some fresh tomatoes, fresh parsley, and crumbled feta cheese.
This is another one of my favorite Mediterranean diet recipes. You can use it for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner. It is a mixture of eggs, different veggies and you have to add garlic which makes it delicious. Shakshuka is healthy, satisfying, and full of amazing flavors. Here are the step-by-step instructions are given below for making of shakshuka:
- Heat the pan and add extra virgin olive oil to it. Now, add veggies and garlic to the pan.
- Add Mediterranean spices such as coriander, paprika, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Now, add tomato sauce and a few tomatoes to the pan and boil.
- When it starts boiling, lower the heat and cover it for 15 minutes.
- When the dish is thick enough, make some space for eggs. Add eggs and again cover the pan. Cook it for a few more minutes.
- Garnish the dish with pepper flakes, a handful of parsley, and fresh mint.
Your diet affects your overall health which also includes your mental health. Proper health improves your ability to think, remember and process information. Also, a healthy Mediterranean diet is best for your heart.
Many studies prove that if you follow Mediterranean diet rules properly, you will avoid heart problems. The Mediterranean diet plan for weight loss also involves regular physical activity. Without exercise, you can’t lose weight. Also, you can find numerous Mediterranean meals which will be delicious and healthy.
For more health-related information, visit Healthclubfinder.