Root Canal Treatment: Purpose & Benefits
Are you suffering from a toothache? Did your dentist recommend root canal treatment? Worried it might be painful?
A root canal is a restorative dental procedure performed by dentists to remove the infected pulp (soft centre of your tooth ) and avoid unnecessary tooth extraction. With modern technology and dental anaesthesia, root canal treatment is now an almost pain-free therapy.
However, before you take any decision, it is important to understand the benefits of the procedure.
In this write-up, we’ve highlighted everything you need to know about the root canal treatment Warriewood- procedure, purpose, and benefits, to help you make a correct informed decision.
What Is the Purpose of Root Canal Therapy?
The pulp of your tooth comprises blood vessels, nerve, and connective tissues that help your tooth to grow and remain healthy. However, sometimes due to bacterial infection or injury, the pulp gets damaged.
With root canal treatment (endodontic therapy), your dentist aims to remove the infected, inflamed, severed, or injured pulp without extracting the entire tooth.
Common causes of pulp damage include:
- Untreated cavity resulting in deep tooth decay
- Multiple procedures performed on the same tooth
- A crack or chip in the tooth from any external force exposing or severing your nerves
- An internal trauma to the tooth due to an accident
The most common symptoms of the damaged pulp include toothache, swelling, and a heated sensation in your teeth Your endodontist will recommend root canal therapy only after careful diagnosis and confirmation.
Ensure to consult the best Northern Beaches dentist for safe, effective, and almost pain-free endodontic treatment and restore your beautiful simile.
How Is the Root Canal Procedure Done?
With modern medicine and advanced technologies, root canal treatment Warriewood is a single-day procedure, and you can resume your regular routine the next day after the procedure.
- Administering the anaesthetic– Your endodontist will administer a local anaesthetic for a comfortable and pain-free procedure. You’ll remain awake during the treatment. However, you’ll feel a numbing sensation near the procedure site.
- Removing the pulp– the endodontist will create a small opening to expose the infected pulp and clean out all the canals (pathways) inside your tooth. With the best Northern Beaches dentist performing your root canal, you can be assured all the infected pulp is removed, eliminating the chances of re-infection.
- Antibiotic therapy– Once the cleaning and pulp removal and cleaning process are completed, your dentist may apply topical antibiotics to eliminate infection and prevent re-infection. Your dentist may also prescribe oral antibiotics.
- Filling and crown placement– At the end, the opening in your tooth is sealed with a sealant paste and gutta-percha (a rubber-like material) to prevent any damage to the canals. Later you may opt for a permanent filling or crown placement.
8 Benefits Of Root Canal Treatment
- Prevents the spread of infection and bacterial manifestation to the neighbouring teeth.
- Gives you an aesthetically appealing result and restores your beautiful smile.
- Prevents tooth extraction and saves your natural functioning teeth. You enjoy your natural eating habits a few days after the procedure.
- Prevents jaw bone degeneration
- Improves your oral hygiene and your overall health. Dental issues may lead to various complications throughout your body, including gastrointestinal infection, respiratory problems, and even brain infection.
- A virtually pain-free treatment process
- Safe and quick recovery time- patients typically recover 24-48 hrs after the treatment.
- Efficient and cost-effective since it is a minor procedure and doesn’t require extensive follow-up.
What to Do Next After the Root Canal Treatment Is Done?
When the anaesthetic effect wears off, your tooth and gum may feel sore. Over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen can effectively treat the soreness.
You can resume the natural functioning of the treated tooth once the crowning is done.
The best root canal treatment Warriewood involves follow-up after a few days to take X-rays and ensure the infection is completely gone. You can even get the crowning done.
Crowns are artificial teeth made from porcelain or gold, imparting a realistic appearance.
It may take you a few days to adjust to how the tooth feels after the procedure, which is normal.
Get your appointment scheduled with the best Northern Beaches dentist to restore your smile.